Many diets or supplements and meal replacement programs claim to speed up loss weight. But they’re not supported by research-based evidence. However, there are some methods backed by science that can influence the management of weight.
Methods backed by science to shed pounds
Weight loss methods that have been proven scientifically valid are:
Experimenting with intermittent fasting
Intermittent Fasting (IF) can be described as a method of eating which involves periodic short-term fasts and the consumption of meals in a shorter duration during the daytime.
Numerous studies conducted by Trusted Source have shown that short-term intermittent fasting that lasts between 24 and 28 weeks long can lead to weight loss among obese people.
The most commonly used intermittent fasting methods are the following:
- Alternate Day FastingTrusted Source (ADF): Fasting every other day and eat as normal during non-fasting days. The modified version of trusted Source is based on eating only 25-30% of your body’s energy needs during days of fasting.
- 5.2 Diet: Fast for two out of every seven days. On fasting days, eat 500-600 calories.
- Method 16/8 is to fast for 16 hours and consume food only in the 8 hours. For most people, this 8-hour period is from 12 noon until 8.30 p.m. An investigation conducted on this technique found that eating within a limited period led to the participants consuming fewer calories as well as dropping weight.
It is best to adhere to the healthy eating routineTrusted Source during non-fasting days and avoid overeating.
Monitoring your diet and exercising
If someone is looking to shed weight. They must be aware of all the things they consume and drink throughout the day. The best method to achieve this is to keep track of each food item they consume, either in journals or electronic food logs.
In 2017, researchers estimated that 3.7 billion health apps were downloaded at the end of the calendar year.
Of those, apps that focus on fitness, diet, and weight reduction, were the most downloaded. It is not for lack of reason, as keeping track of fitness and weight loss progress while on the go is an excellent way of managing eight trusted Sources.
One study conducted by Trusted Source discovered that regular monitoring of physical activity could help in losing weight.
In addition, a review study conducted by the Trusted Source found a positive correlation in weight loss with the frequency of tracking the intake of food and exercising. Even a simple device such as a pedometer could be an effective weight-loss instrument.
Mindful eating is the practice that requires people to be aware of the way they eat and where they consume their food. It can allow people to appreciate eating food and keep a healthy weight.
Because most people lead hectic lives, they tend to eat fast during their commute at work, in the car, at their desks, and watching television. In the end, most people are unaware of what they’re eating.
Strategies for mindful eating include:
- The act of eating a meal or eat at the table, pay attention to the food you eat, and enjoy the dining experience.
- He is avoiding distractions when eating. Don’t turn on the television or phones or laptops.
- Slowly eating Make sure to chew and enjoy the food. It can aid in weight loss as it allows the brain to understand the signals to tell them they’re complete, which helps avoid overeating.
- Make thoughtful food choices. Select foods rich in nutrients and that can fill you up for more than a few minutes.
I am eating protein for breakfast
Proteins can regulate appetite hormones and make people feel fuller. It is mostly due to a decrease in the hunger hormone ghrelin and a rise in the satiety hormones peptide YY, GLP-1, and cholecy stokinin Trusted Source.
A study conducted by Research Trusted Source on adolescents has proven that the hormonal effects of eating a protein-rich breakfast can last for some hours.
The best options for a protein-rich breakfast are eggs, oatmeal, nut and seed, butters the quinoa porridge, and sardines, Chia seed pudding.
Reduce your intake of sugar and refined carbs
It is evident that the Western diet is now increasingly high in added sugars. This is linked with weight gain trusted Source even though the sugar is present in drinksTrusted Source instead of food.
Refined carbs are processed food items that do not have fiber or other nutrients. They include White rice, bread, and pasta.
They are fast to digest and transform into glucose quickly.
Excess glucose enters the blood and provokes the hormone insulin, and it increases fat storage in adipose tissue. This is a factor in weight gain.
When possible, individuals should switch out processed and sugary food items for healthier alternatives. The best food alternatives include:
- whole grain rice, bread, and pasta instead of white varieties
- fruit, nuts, and seeds in place of snacks with high sugar content
- Herb teas and fruit-infused waters instead of sodas that are high in sugar
- Smoothies made with milk or water instead of juices made from fruit
- Fiber-rich foods are a must.
Dietary fiber refers to plants-based carbohydrates which are difficult to digest through the small intestine, unlike starch and sugar.
The inclusion of fiber in your diet could boost the sensation of fullness, possibly leading to weight reduction.
Fiber-rich foods include:
- whole-grain breakfast cereals, whole-wheat pasta, bread made of whole grain barley, Oats and Rye
- Fruits and vegetables as well as
- beans, peas, and pulses
- seeds and nuts
Balancing gut bacteria
A recent area of research is the study of the impact of the gut microbiome on weight control.
According to Trusted Source, the human gut houses many varieties of microorganisms. This includes approximately 37 trillion bacteria.
Every person has various varieties and levels of bacteria in their intestines. Certain kinds can increase how much energy the individual gets from food. Leading to the accumulation of fat and weight gain.
Certain foods can boost the number of beneficial bacteria that reside in the gut. It includes:
- A variety of plants increasing the number of vegetables, fruits, and grains consumed will lead to an increase in intake of fiber and diverse gut flora. The goal is to make sure that plant-based food items constitute the majority of their meals.
- Fermented food items The benefits of these foods are the activity of good bacteria and inhibit the development of harmful bacteria. Sauerkraut and Kimchi, yogurt, kefir, tempeh, and miso contain significant amounts of probiotics that help increase the number of good bacteria. Researchers have examined Kimchi extensively, and their results suggest it has beneficial effects against obesity. In the same way, studies have demonstrated that the kefir could aid in weight loss among overweight women.
- Prebiotic food items The prebiotic foods increase the activity and growth of certain good bacteria that assist in weight management. Prebiotic fiber can be found in a wide variety of vegetables and fruits, particularly artichoke, chicory root, onion garlic, asparagus, as well as leeks and bananas. and avocado. It’s also found in grains, like barley and oats.
A good night’s rest is essential.
Numerous studies have proven that a lack of 5-6 hours of rest per night is linked to an increased prevalence in weight gain trusted Source. There are many reasons for this.
Research suggests that poor or insufficient sleep reduces the body’s rate of converting calories into energy through metabolism. When metabolism isn’t as effective, it is possible that the body stores the point it does not use as fat.
Additionally, sleep deprivation could cause an increase in your body’s production of insulin and cortisol Trusted Source and trigger storage of fat.
The length of time a person sleeps impacts the control of hormones that control appetite, namely leptin and ghrelin. Leptin transmits signals that indicate fullness to the brain.
Managing your stress levels
Stress causes the release of hormones. Such as cortisol and adrenaline, which at first reduce appetite in the body’s fight or flight response.
But, when someone is constantly stressed, cortisol could stay in the bloodstream for longer. It will boost their hunger Trusted Source and may result in them eating more.
Cortisol signals that it is time to refill the body’s nutrition reserves by consuming the most preferred fuel source. That is carbohydrates.
Insulin is the next step in transporting sugars from the bloodstream to the muscles and the brain. If the person does not utilize this sugar for combat or flight, the body stores this as fat.
Researchers found trusted Source that is implementing an 8-week stress-management intervention program resulted in a significant reduction in the body mass index (BMI) for obese and overweight adolescents and children.